Parenting Matters

Parenting Matters

parenting arrangements

Often a separation requires consideration of the needs of any children from that relationship.  It can be a disruptive time for any children involved, and depending on the nature of the separation, it can also be difficult for both parties to agree on how to manage the needs of those children moving forward. 

At Steel Legal, we work with you to formulate an agreement that is best for you and your children post-separation.  The process varies depending on the nature of the separation.  If both parties are able to co-operate, a more flexible informal agreement may be appropriate, and we can help you understand the advantages and limitations of such an approach.  Alternatively, a parenting plan may be more appropriate, whereby decisions made by both parties are formalised in a written agreement.

Other approaches for less amicable separations can include consent orders, which require approval from the Family Court, or court orders where the matter appears in court and is decided upon by a Judge. 

Luke Steel draws on his many years of experience when offering advice and assistance to achieve the best possible outcomes for his clients and their children.  If you would like to schedule a free initial consultation call on 07 3112 0225 or send us a message.

Steel Legal Brisbane Family Lawyer Parenting Matters

Frequently Asked Questions

If you believe your children are in danger contact the police on 000. 

You may apply for an interim order if you have urgent concerns.  This involves a hearing where the court makes temporary orders until the final decision is handed down.

It depends.  If both parties are able to cooperate, it may be possible to have a more flexible, informal agreement that does not require approval from the Court, and therefore is not enforceable by the court.  For some matters it may be more appropriate to have a formal agreement in place, approved by the Court and therefore enforceable by the Court should the agreement be breached.  We can discuss the most appropriate course of action for you based on your circumstances and desired outcomes.

Yes.  The law recognises that other family members play an important part in a child’s life and as such they can be included in parenting arrangements.  Both parties must agree on the nature of the involvement of any third party, or the Court will decide, based on the best interests of the child. 

If you are a grandparent or step-parent seeking access to children please contact us to discuss your options.

Read more about our services


The information on this website is general in nature and is not to be taken as legal advice.  You should consider seeking independent legal advice to check how the information relates to your unique circumstances.  Steel Legal Family Lawyers is not liable for any loss caused, whether due to negligence or otherwise arising from the use of, or reliance on, the information provided directly or indirectly.