Preparing Court Orders by Consent

Preparing Court Orders by Consent

preparing court orders by consent

Should both parties reach an agreement regarding property division or parenting matters, and wish to make this agreement binding, the next step is to apply to the Family Court for consent orders. 

The court then considers this application to decide if the agreement is fair and just, and in the best interests of any children involved.  Should they decide that it is, a consent order is granted. 

We at Steel Legal can prepare and lodge these applications on your behalf.  We can also work with you to prepare any agreements regarding property division or parenting matters, before then moving on to prepare court orders by consent.

Whether you have an agreement already and would like to formalise it through the court, or need to formulate and reach an agreement first, we can help you through the process by first speaking to you in a free initial consultation.  To book, call 07 3112 0225 or send us a message.

Steel Legal Brisbane Family Lawyers Preparing Court Orders by Consent

Frequently Asked Questions

It is possible to set out parenting and property arrangements in an informal agreement without the need to go to court.  However, if you wish the agreement to be binding, you will need to apply to the Family Court, who will then formalise the agreement.

If both parties fail to reach agreement, then you may require us to help you prepare an application for Court to have the matter heard.  In this case, the Court will then decide the terms of the agreement on behalf of both parties.

Applications must be filed within 12 months of divorce, or within two years of  a de facto relationship ending.

Read more about our services


The information on this website is general in nature and is not to be taken as legal advice.  You should consider seeking independent legal advice to check how the information relates to your unique circumstances.  Steel Legal Family Lawyers is not liable for any loss caused, whether due to negligence or otherwise arising from the use of, or reliance on, the information provided directly or indirectly.